Our millets మన చిరు ధాన్యాలు
Our ancestors used to consume millets. But due to green revolution our dietary habits were changed drastically. White rice occupied the prime place due to easy and cheap availability, besides ease of cooking. Many of us may not be aware of a variety of millets that were used in our diet. Their consumption provides health benefits. They are rich source of micro-nutrients that are essential in very small quantities. They are fiber rich, the fiber dissolves bad cholesterol, thus prevents many metabolic disorders. They help in controlling diabetes. The immunity will also be enhanced. In dry areas, without much water, and harmful pesticides they can be cultivated. Because of increasing awareness the cost of the millets is more than that of rice. White rice contains only carbohydrates. The glycemic index of millets is also lower than that of rice. They are mostly gluetin free. Hence their consumption is essential for good health. In view of the benefits I try to introduce the millets and few easily made recipes.
2.రాగులు/ చోళ్ళు /తమిదలు: raagulu- finger millet :Botanical name: Eleusine coracana,
4. ఆరికలు: aarikalu- Proso millet : Botanical name: Panicum miliaceum
5. కొర్రలు: korralu-Foxtail millet:Botanical name: Setaria italica
6. సామలు: saamalu-Little millet:Botanical name: Panicum sumatrense
7. వరిగలు varigalu-Kodo millet:Botanical name: Paspalum scrobiculatum
9. ఊదర్లుoodarlu- Indian barn yard millet: Botanical name: Echinochloa frumentacea
10. కోడి సామలు:Kodisama- hippo grass, Burgu millet,Botanical name: Echinochloa stagnina
11.యెర్ర బియ్యం: yerra biyyam- red rice: Botanical name:Oryza rufipogon
12. బార్లీ :Barley: Botanical name: Hordeum vulgare
ఈ 12 రకాల చిరు ధాన్యాలను మన ఆహారము లో చేర్చు కోండి. ఆరోగ్యాన్ని పొందండి .